Credit and debit card fraud is rife – you have to be more careful than ever before to keep your details safe and secure. Even people who think they are very conscious of safety and know what they’re doing can end up getting their details stolen and used fraudulently. This is not helped by the fact that fraudsters are becoming more sophisticated than ever before. Here are some of the details you need to know to keep safe when shopping online:
- Remember to log out. This might sound simple, but it’s essential you don’t leave yourself logged in, especially on a public computer. It would only take a second for somebody to steal your details and get what they need to commit fraud.
- Don’t store passwords on public and work computers. Even if you have to enter an admin password before accessing the list of passwords saved on your browser, it can be all too easy for someone to find you details.
- Only use secure websites. Read their terms and conditions, check their user ratings and install security software that will block malicious websites.
- If you suspect that somebody might have your details, call your bank immediately. Get a new card sent out and cancel your old one. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Don’t give out your card details. Many scams will involve somebody calling or emailing you pretending to be your bank, so that they can obtain your details and make fraudulent payments. Never give out your details, as your bank will never contact you to ask for details like this.
The main piece of advice is to use your common sense. Protect your details and don’t give them out under any circumstances. This is the best way to stay safe online.